Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Not a Meat Eater

Hi, I'm Eli and I'm not a meat eater. My parents are what you call 'vegetarians.'

'Listen, they take this stuff very seriously.'
Silly Head!

Hi again! So this onesie and my beautiful friend Kimiko over at I Like Ruffles have inspired a cooking series on the blog.  Recently I asked friends about any vegetarian cooking blogs they might know of, and I received very little response. Probably because very few people we know are vegetarian. But, some friends have asked me to give them recipes we use so that they can have more vegetarian meals in their diets. So here goes nothing! I'd like to call this series 'Not a Meat Eater,' and for the first addition I will share my version of a white chili recipe. Enjoy!


White Chili
*perfect for a cloudy/rainy day

This is Ellie Kriegers recipe that I got from the food network found here, with my vegetarian substitutions!

 

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 3 medium poblano peppers (about 4 ounces each), seeded and white ribs removed, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced * I used alot more garlic, since we LOVE garlic!
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
  • * 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and rinsed
  • 2 (15.5-ounce) cans white beans such as cannelini, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
  • *4 cups Veggie Broth
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano * I used less, just a dash as I don't like a heavy oregano taste
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
  • Salt
  • 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • Lime wedges

 

Directions 

-'Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, celery, poblanos, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 

-Add the * tofu and cook like ground turkey, breaking up the tofu with a spoon, about 2 minutes. Add the white beans, broth and oregano. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.  

-Add the hominy and salt and more cayenne pepper, to taste, and continue cooking, partially covered, 10 minutes longer. Ladle into individual bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cilantro. Garnish with a lime wedge. '



I highly encourage you to add the yogurt and cilantro as it makes it even more yummy! We've made this twice now and it feeds Scott and I dinner for about 3 nights, less if you have it for lunch too! I think it would be great with some corn-bread as well. I apologize I have no picture of it, I forgot to take one. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment