Thursday, June 30, 2011

the kind of mother...

Hello again. So, in this book I am currently reading I came across a passage which reminded me of this series I wanted to create on the blog: 'the kind of mother.' Remember when I talked about having fresh smelling sheets... :) I know it can come off as cheesy, but I like the idea of putting out there intentions for my child, it serves as a reminder in those impatient, flustered moments that we should act/react according to how it may affect our future. Thus the passage states:

' Once your children are grown, what kind of mother will you have been? How will your children describe you? A martyr? Patient? Crabby? Demanding? Easy-going? What effect will our words and actions have had on our children? And what kind of model will we have provided?'
-Sarah Napthali

Isn't that so poignant? It really sat with me. And yes, I would like my child to describe me as funny, smart, patient, loving, spontaneous and all those other qualities...but I also want my child to remember the actions I took to show him those things, even if mundane such as always having fresh, clean sheets that smell of rose and lavender, or the fact that I will always have on hand the ingredients for soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies to help cheer him up or celebrate a victory! It is those moments that I hope my child will remember, that he is loved and provided a warm, nurturing home!

What about you? What do you think about as a mother/father?

The other day I made chocolate chip cookies for no reason, and thought about how fun it will be when Eli is old enough to partake in the making and tasting of them. Here is a photo of the cookies with Eli napping in the background, which can you see on the monitor. :) He is in his favorite position of sleeping; butt in the air!

1 comment:

  1. So sweet, thoughtful and loving! You are "the kind of mother" we all hope we can be! xoxo

    ReplyDelete