Sunday, June 5, 2011

summer reading

With summer fast approaching, I've started thinking about a good summer read...

I just finished reading this:



Have you read Kingsolvers latest novel 'The Lacuna?' It's good. I am huge fan of her work and I have to admit this was not my favorite, but nonetheless interesting. It is very historically based and follows the lead character Harrison Shepard as a young boy in Mexico who becomes involved in the world of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, to his adulthood as a writer in North Carolina. Truth to be told, it took me 10 months to read this, but I have to give myself some slack because I bought this book when Eli was in the NICU and well reading for pleasure never really happened until recently. Yay!

Now I'm reading 'Bee Season' by Myla Goldberg. A friend gave me this to read (thanks jp) and I had never heard of it... I LOVE it. It is so well written and addicting, my favorite kind of book! When googling it today I discovered there was also a movie??? With Richard Gere and Juliette Binoche; interesting. I'm going to check it out after I finish.




Next on the list is 'The Carrie Diaries' by Candace Bushnell, and perhaps the sequel 'Summer in the City.' Cheesy I know, but will be a perfect, easy read when I take an afternoon to myself to sun-bathe on the beach while Scott and Eli play at home (or where ever, Ha!)




What is on your list to read this summer? Also, you mommas out there...are there any good parenting books I should be checking out? I just read 'Good Night, Sleep Tight' by Kim West to help us move forward with Eli learning how to put himself to sleep, and it was great! So helpful. In fact, tonight was his fourth night and NO CRYING! Yay for Eli!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished(for the third time) Black Baby White Hands, By Jaiya John. Its not just relevant to my situation but really to everyones, very thoughtful. Also I love Buddhism for Mothers.

    ReplyDelete